Spiritual Emergence Coach ® Training & Certification
Spiritual Emergence Coach ® (SEC) Certification and SEC continuing education is unique in the world.
Spiritual Emergence Coach ®: Who Qualifies for Certification
- Individuals with prior experience successfully facilitating diverse kinds of support groups. This includes people trained in peer support who have facilitated groups.
- Those priorly authorized as MDs, nurses, social workers, counselors, spiritual directors, and psychotherapists.
- Those priorly authorized as coaches, if their certification was from a Coach training program recognized by the International Coach Federation.
A Spiritual Emergence Coach® will work with vulnerable populations and it is important that these people get qualified support.
Elements Needed for Certification
- Individuals must first complete a series of 5 online webinars on spiritual emergency followed by a 2-day live Practicum, on location
- We review each applicant for certification through an application process which includes a live, personal interview at the end of the Practicum.
- The formal written application for certification is due at the beginning of the Practicum; but the Practicum is open to anyone who wants to join it and can be helpful for people with lived-experience.
- If you are seeking certification: We also ask for a reference from someone qualified to give us a professional overview of your experience of successful group facilitation.
What is Learned/ Achieved
Those with prior authorization to work as coaches or licensed healthcare providers use Spiritual Emergence Coach Ccertification to enhance what they cover in their private practice–offering a specialty that is increasingly more sought out. Those who do not have this prior authorization will learn what’s most important in facilitating support groups for those in spiritual emergence.
We cannot authorize one-to-one coaching and counseling to those not priorly authorized for this more intensive interaction that carries responsibilities for sensitive assessments. However, IMHU follows the profound success of Soteria Houses–These successful residential centers made it abundantly clear that paraprofessionals (with no graduate school preparation or licensure as therapists) are often in the best position to offer support to those in extreme states if they can “be with”, i.e. offer connection to the person seeking help. This involves personal qualities of sensitivity, authenticity, the ability to maintain connection and positive expectation.
Emma Bragdon, PhD, the Founder/Exec Director of IMHU, teaches the online webinars, and the Practicum, and facilitates the live Q&A every week for those involved with the online webinar series. She is currently training others to lead future Practicums in UK and USA. Dr. Bragdon has been selected by Stanislav Grof, MD., as one of the lead teachers in Grof Legacy Training® for South America and has been a leading pioneer in the field of Spiritual Emergency since 1983. Dr. Grof and his wife Christina Grof coined the term “Spiritual Emergency”.
Cost to You
As of January, 2023, the cost of the 5 online webinars is usually $495. The cost of the Practicum is $950. Sign up for our IMHU newsletter at the bottom of this page to be sure you get up to date pricing and scheduling. We can offer some partial scholarships ( ScholarshipApp) to those with financial limitations.
As of Winter, 2023, the 5 online webinars are generally available all year. The Practicums are available at scheduled times. Venues for the Practicum currently include London, UK, Boston, MA, Seattle, WA, and Asheville, NC.
Benefits to You
1. Listing in the Spiritual Emergence Coach Directory: One of the benefits of obtaining the Certification is listing in the International SEC Online Directory. Increasing numbers of other organizations link to this Directory as it is unique in the world, and the need for this type of support continues to grow exponentially. Through the Directory, SECs contact information are given more visibility internationally. In early 2023 we will also be including a roster of support groups currently available through the SECs.
2. Other Benefits:
- Continuing Ed credits for MDs, psychologists, social workers and psychotherapists
- Listing a “specialty” in Spiritual Emergence in your practice along with use of our logo as a Spiritual Emergence Coach®
- Access to special annual courses at IMHU designed specifically for SECs to increase knowledge and skills
- SEC certificants enter into an active network of others from around the world who have obtained similar learning about spiritual emergence and emergency…they speak the same language!
- You gain new friends and colleagues from around the world
- You are part of a team effort to strengthen and encourage an ecumenical awareness of spiritual growth in all cultures
- Being a certificant is invaluable support for having access to excellent community support for your own spiritual awakening
- We also have qualified people to consult with regarding issues supporting others, or doing our community work
- We share up to date resources to improve education and outreach
- We maintain and continually upgrade the quality of support we can give others
- We enjoy a group to brainstorm with regarding any issues around spiritual emergence (personal and professional)
- And, of course, you get a Certificate to hang on your wall!
3. IMHU asks Certificants to be Proactive: If you become a Spiritual Emergence Coach® you need participate in 3 online meetups in each calendar year to maintain active certification. You also must take one continuing education course per year from IMHU. Three meetups plus one refresher course per year amounts to $90 per year. This insures that all active SECs are continuing to update their knowledge and skills related to supporting others in Spiritual Emergence processes.
4. Spiritual Emergence Coach Supervision: Some SECs who are previously authorized to do one to one counseling/therapy have asked Emma Bragdon for group supervision. This may be offered once a month to qualified SECs. The topics will change month to month but always include time to delve deeply into some of the issues that arise working with individual clients who are stuck with issues around spiritual emergence. Personal, private supervision with Emma Bragdon is also available (see below).
IMHU believes that learning how to care for a psycho-spiritual crisis in oneself or others is something we all need to know…Also, those with lived experience can offer extraordinary peer support that is an invaluable aid in recovery.
The Graphic below illustrates the levels of attainment in our Certification process that will be soon acknowledged in the SEC Directory online:
Recognition of your level will be acknowledged to the public in our Directory of SE Coaches. Continuing education is available to you at each level–see below.
IMHU’s Spiritual Emergence Coach® (SEC) Certification
|Open to Everyone|
|Moderate Price to Complete Certification|
|Partial Scholarships are Available|
|Phase One Webinars:
Available Internationally Online
|Live 2 Day Practicum:
Hosted in UK, EU, USA and AU
|Applicant for Certification is reviewed
Insures preparation complete
|Expert Instructor: PhD|
|Instructor’s Years of Experience: Since 1983|
|Continuing Education Credits
For licensed practitioners
|Promotes Teamwork on all levels|
|SEC International Directory now online|
|Sponsored by a not-for-profit company|
|Continuing Education is Online|
|Option: Life Coach Certification: accepted by
International Coach Federation (ICF)
|Option: Study Groups
Discuss books and films
|Option: Personal Supervision/Guidance|
(Continuing Education Credit for healthcare providers is available for almost all of our courses.)
IMHU Continuing Education Courses are typically online, open to anyone, ANYTIME
There are 5 categories of courses and more than 45 courses within those categories. Click HERE
The Master Level Training
Qualification: for those who are already certified as MDs, coaches or psychotherapists. We are currently working out the requirements for this designation. They will include:
- Nutrition, Micronutrients and Mental Health, with Pam Shervanick, MD
- Psychedelic Medicine: Is it Good? with various professionals
- Brazil Tour: Learn About the Brazilian Spiritist Paradigm of Mental Healthcare and the effective model they use to help people in spiritual emergence and emergency. Emma Bragdon, PhD facilitates with her Brazilian Associates who are psychiatrists.
Individual Supervision/ Coaching for Success
Available as an option on an hourly basis from Emma Bragdon, PhD. in person or via teleconference or zoom. This may also include asking Dr. Bragdon to watch videos of sessions you submit showing you working with a client so she can give helpful feedback.
Those pursuing a deep course in this study of Spiritual Emergence/Emergency and how to care for those in psycho-spiritual crisis need to pace themselves over a period of years to gain proficiency.
For those who want to become Certified as Life Coaches: we can give you information on aligned organizations that offer that training in house, via teleconference, or online. We recommend only those programs accepted by the International Coach Federation.
“I enthusiastically recommend attending Dr. Bragdon’s workshop, “Effective Help for Someone in Spiritual Emergency”. Her many years as a psychotherapist, healer, scholar and presenter shine through as she presents her life’s work, creating many rewarding opportunities for expansive professional and personal enrichment.” —Ted Esser, Ph.D., Faculty at Sofia University and Director of the Spiritual Emergence Network
“…this course is vital for mental health clinicians, family members and peers, as a preventative measure for spiritual crisis, not just an immensely useful educational tool.” —Katie Mottram, Founder/Director, Emerging Proud
“This course provided a much-needed orientation to a disorienting experience, both personally and professionally. The material was presented in a very professional, normalizing manner that served to set a tone that inspires me in talking to other professionals about these matters as if this was just a matter-of-fact discussion – very useful!” —Dan Metevier, PsyD
“(I had) the opportunity to widen my scope of knowledge about the differences between Spiritual Emergence and Emergency and to increase my understanding of alternative treatment/helping models in other cultures…The lecture materials are stellar and I enjoyed the resources that followed each lesson. Emma is a fantastic teacher.” —Linda Ruthen, MSW
“We so need what Dr. Bragdon has to teach us. I recommend her courses highly and without reservation.” —David Anick, MD (psychiatrist)
“I was elated after the Practicum! I felt “If I die today, it’s all good, because I just had one of the most healing and educational experiences of my life”… Now I’m part of a vast community of new friends and like-minded people… The tools I learned in the workshop were applicable the first few hours back at the job helping people with addiction and mental health issues.” —William Smith, Addictions Counselor
“Excellent course for anyone at all interested in this field.” —Massage Therapist
“Focused on very practical skills for care and support. Excellent hand-outs with resources and guidelines.” —Peer Support Worker
“It was awesome!” —Licensed Social Worker
“…essential for anyone who wants to work with people experiencing spiritual emergency or psycho-spiritual transformation. Emma teaches material, skills and methods with wisdom and compassion and shares her knowledge and expertise with clear purpose. The fact that this course is unique in the world at this time also makes it a highly valuable opportunity.” —Jen MacDonald, Peer Counselor; Toronto,Canada