Explore the world of the Peer Support movement today through unique videos and carefully chosen articles vetted by an expert. Peer Specialists who have overcome extreme states (including spiritual emergency, addiction and mental disorder) can speed recovery for those in the midst of overcoming these challenges. Peer Specialists are more attuned to being with others who are having similar experiences without fear–they have “been there”. Qualified, trained Peer Specialists can provide appropriate support as a complement to support offered by licensed providers, such as MDs. These Peer Specialists may in fact be changing our system of mental healthcare into a process that is more humane, more efficient, less costly, and less dependent on psychiatric medications. Peer support also contributes to building supportive community. Training as Peer Specialists is available in private and state run organisations.
Your take home: You will
- Better understand the breadth of support services in USA, UK and NZ
- Be inspired: hear from 17 leaders in the field.
- Get references: current research on the effectiveness of peer support
- Have access to new models for creating peer support services in your community
- Gain information and contacts on harm reduction re: withdrawal from psych meds
- Know about training as a Peer Specialist
- Expand your basic knowledge and skills via further reading/ viewing/ training.
There are no specific times for classes to attend. You get four modules all at once so you can pick and choose what you want to see/read at any time convenient for you. You will have the materials to review for an unlimited time. You can participate at your convenience on any computer/ mobile device at anytime after launch.
- Peer Support: Part of the New Paradigm
- Peers Who Facilitate Peers: Other Voices
- Peer Support: Safely Reduce Over-Reliance on Psych Meds
- More Leaders, Models, and Resources
This course is given online through IMHU’s learning platform. After you have registered you will be directed to the learning platform through a link. When linked up, you need to create a username and password to enter–then you will automatically receive notices about the course. User-friendly and easy to follow!
Emma Bragdon, PhD. is the Founder & Executive Director of Integrative Mental Health for You, IMHU.org. She has taught a version of peer counseling and been a participant of the peer movement in various ways spanning diverse cultures since 1980. Emma was licensed as a Marriage, Family and Child Therapist in 1988 and is the author of 7 books. EmmaBragdon.com