Details of Working With Emma Bragdon, PhD
Emma Bragdon believes that cultivating a relationship to “spirit” or “higher power” is an essential component of optimal wellness. The goal is not to become more religious but to create a life of purpose and meaning. That expresses in unique ways.
Working as a Consultant with Organizations, I:
- Provide perspective on how you and your staff can bring spirituality more dynamically into your program
- Assess the program you have from an integrative perspective (body, mind and spirit)
- Give a written report (if you wish) about your strengths and my suggestions
Working with Individuals, I:
- Provide care from an integrative perspective (body/mind/spirit & relationship to social network)
- Provide expert coaching on issues related to spiritual emergency and spiritual emergence
- Advocate minimizing the use of psychiatric drugs and maximizing more natural, holistic and effective supports to wellness.
- Refer individuals to an integrative/ holistic psychiatrist or other qualified provider when they want to withdraw from psych meds and/or strengthen brain function using natural supplements.
Time, Fee, Insurance:
- Session length: 1 Hour
- Fee: $200. per hour
- Payable by credit card
- Our office is not set up for insurance payments
- We can sometimes offer sliding scale on request.
To schedule an appointment: please email (EB@IMHU.org) or call my office directly in Vermont: 802-674-2919
“I reached out to Dr. Emma Bragdon several years ago for support and guidance during a spiritual emergence experience. Her coaching and psychotherapy work entailed psychological and social support, as well as the inclusion of spiritual practices to augment other treatments I was receiving. As a Psychologist, I consider myself to be an excellent judge of the quality of support and guidance Dr. Bragdon offers. Let me emphasize that she is stellar and profound in her knowledge of mental health and spiritual emergence, and the compassion, wisdom and clear direction she brought to the task was instrumental in my moving forward to wellness and recovery. Dr. Bragdon is passionate about her work and educating efforts, about being in service and facilitating vision and value-led change for others. She has increased my spiritual competency as both an individual and a psychologist. I am deeply blessed to have reaped the rewards of her work, care and grace on so many levels. Thank you dearly, Emma. With you, a new journey of personal evolution has begun.” –EDR, Ph.D., R. Psych. from Canada
- Support for looking at their mental health issues from empowering perspectives
- Support in personal development and managing life choices positively
- Support for spiritual development
- Integration/ making sense of experiences with spiritual healers–especially if expectations were not met
- Managing spiritual emergency* or other intense life experiences that may occur on our life journeys
- Support from a mature perspective: Emma Bragdon has dedicated 45+ years to working with others seeking help with emotional disturbances, writing books and creating films about mental health and optimal wellness. She has been a meditator for 50+ years.
- [Our office is not a clinic and is not set up to offer crisis counseling alone; only as part of a team effort.]
Modalities used by telephone or skype:
- Counseling/ life coaching/ consultation
- Mentoring, i.e. learning to harness one’s own spiritual gifts
- Referrals to residential treatment in the USA and Brazil, as needed.
- Consultation for loved ones caring for a person in crisis
- Collaboration with and/or referral to psychiatrists who can help with medications and/or micronutrients and diet to aid in recovering stability of the body/mind. This may include help withdrawing from psychiatric drugs.
“I found Emma to be a person who walks that fine line between holding space for each person to take self-responsibility, and also being there as a loving support as each one’s own unique experience unfolds.” -L. Davidson, Michigan
|* Spiritual Emergency: A crisis in which a person needs to integrate expanded states of consciousness that may be a preview or portal into operating from a new perspective in life with more peace, compassion, and wisdom. If persons undergoing this experience are given psychiatric drugs over the long-term, it can obstruct the positive potential of the experience. Dr. Bragdon wrote two of the most well-known books on SpiritualEmergency, for health professionals and laypeople. These were published in 1988 and 1990. They are classics in the field and help to define this area of human experience first articulated by Stanislav Grof, MD, and his wife, Christina Grof.|
“Dr. Bragdon was my attentive guide. She provides the wisdom of experience. I consider her as the primo resource in getting the most from a journey toward true healing.” — D. Arnold, St. Augustine, FL
Training in a Nutshell (CV is available on EmmaBragdon.com):
- Decades of training with Native American, Buddhist, Yogic, and Brazilian spiritual teachers
- Over a decade of training with Neo-Reichian body-oriented therapists & Breathwork facilitators
- PhD in Transpersonal Psychology
- Licensed as a Marriage, Family, Child Therapist in 1988
- Teacher of 9-day experiential workshops to accelerate spiritual growth for 13 years
- 11 years bringing more than 60 groups to visit John of God in Brazil
- 8 years bringing healthcare providers to learn from Spiritist Community Centers and Psychiatric Hospitals
- Author of two classic books on Spiritual Emergency
- Author of 4 books on Spiritual therapies used in Brazil and one satirical ebook on the DSM-V
- Co-producer of two films on healing
- Profound personal experience with spiritual emergence phenomena
- Intuitive gifts for use in healing and counseling
Emma Bragdon writes: “I was born with gifts of clairsentience** and clairvoyance***. This was challenging to deal with as I had no support in my family to help me understand how I was different, or how to make good use of my gifts. Fortunately, I learned to develop and harness my intuitive skills starting in 1964 training with advanced spiritual teachers. In the early 1990’s I began supervising teachers, as well as helping hundreds of others in 13 years of leading workshops. When I was asked to be a guide for people coming to see John of God in Brazil in 2001, I accepted and led more than 60 groups of individuals seeking healing in Brazil. My understanding of his work was great enough that he asked me to write his autobiography and produce a full feature film of his life with a major Hollywood film company. The time was not right for me to do this…but it was an honor to be asked and to have his trust. I have also become familiar with many Spiritist Centers, and cultivated professional relationships with psychiatrists, psychologists and mediums who work within Spiritist Psychiatric Hospitals in Brazil.”
|**Clairsentience: the empathic ability to accurately sense what another being is feeling.|
|***Clairvoyance: clear seeing of subtle energies that inform what we see and know.|
“I’ve had my personal challenges and tragedies to overcome: both my parents suicided before I was 26. My father as a result of addiction he could not transcend. My mother was unable to overcome deep depression. The social conditioning I received was not conducive to building and maintaining positive, lasting relationships. I had to look outside of everything I was familiar with. Meditation helped. So did body-oriented psychotherapy and deep study of shamanism and spiritual healing in many cultures.
I have personally experienced every category of spiritual emergence phenomena. I have gone through the disorientation that comes with altered states of consciousness, become familiar with the terrain, transcended the fears of the unknown, and landed firmly on the ground—able to function in the ordinary as well as non-ordinary worlds. This has qualified me to teach a Certification Course to those wanting to become a “Spiritual Emergence Coach®” as well as other courses on phenomena of spiritual emergence. Last but NOT least: I am also a mother and a grandmother.”
“Once the concept of Spiritual Emergence is understood, psychotherapy will have broken the sound barrier. I trust that Emma Bragdon’s “Sourcebook” will make an important contribution to this hoped for breakthrough.”– Brother David Steindl-Rast, prolific author and leader in interfaith dialogue.
“[Bragdon’s] Sourcebook is a valuable resource for anyone interested in spiritual experiences and their relationship to psychological health and pathology. It is a clear, concise statement about the nature of spiritual emergencies and appropriate treatment modalities. It deserves careful reading by mental health professionals as well as lay people who are exploring their own spiritual growth. It provides a well-balanced perspective and a wealth of useful information.”– Frances Vaughan, PhD., author of Beyond Ego and Paths Beyond Ego